Is it? Too early I mean for festive things. I've been selling Christmas things all year on my Etsy shop so I think people are looking ahead and looking out for things all year now. One of my staples for both my shop and the one Christmas Fair I do is a double sided hanging star.
And, here's the free pattern to recreate this one. I've chosen to do it all in one colour but you could do a different colour each round.
Working in US crochet terms this star is made using single, double and treble crochet, with front post doubles and chain stitches.
Yarn and Notions
Small amount of double knitting yarn in chosen colour(s)
4mm crochet hook
Small amount of stuffing
String and a bead that the string can pass through
Scissors, darning needle
9 cm / 3.5 inches across
ch - chain
dc - double crochet
fpdc - work a double crochet around the front post of the stitch detailed
puff - Yarn over and insert your hook into the specified stitch/space. Yarn over again and pull up a long loop. Yarn over and insert your hook into the same stitch/space. Yarn over again and pull up a long loop. Yarn over and pull through all loops on your hook, ch 1 to close the stitch
sc - single crochet
sc2tog - single crochet two stitches together
scfp - work a single crochet around the front post of the stitch detailed
tr - treble crochet
slst - slip stitch
st - stitch
(____) - instructions worked in same stitch
*____* - instructions between repeated
1. ch2, in the second ch from the hook sc 10
2. ch1, *puff in next stitch, ch1* work to the end, slst into the top of the first puff stitch
3. ch1, sc in each chsp and fpsc around each puff, slst into the top of the first sc - 20 sts
4. (ch2, dc, tr, ch3, tr, dc2), *hdc, sc, hdc, (dc2, tr, ch3, tr, dc2)* repeat to end omitting last set in brackets, slst into top of starting ch2
5. ch1, *sc4, fpdc around puff directly below from round 3, skip sc from round 4, sc next 4, 3sc in chsp*, work around, slst into the first sc
Now make a second one
6. With good sides outside using a sc stitch through both loops of each side join the stars together as follows: at the fpdc sc2tog either side of the fpdc skipping the fpdc stitch, at the chsp 2sc through both chsp. Work to the last side, add a small amount of stuffing and continue joining, slst into the first sc and finish off your yarn securely
7. Using your hanging thread, sew it through one of the points, knot, thread bead through both ends and push it down over your knot and knot the other end and you're done
Further information and Use
I am happy for this pattern to be used for personal use and for sale of the finished item but not on a commercial basis. Please credit this page and me as the designer. I’d love to see what colourways you choose so please share either on Ravelry or social media.